Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkin here, pumpkin there, pumpkin everywhere!

If you live here in Sicily and shop at the exchange AND have been upset that the canned pumpkin is out of stock I must then apologize... I am in love with pumpkin during autumn and I love everything pumpkin. Once the commissary gets in the canned pumpkin, I SNATCH that stuff up! Last time it was stocked I purchased the last 6 cans. I think the commissary has taken note though because they have been better at replenishing the supply. Anyways, today I was in need of some baked goods. This weather has been screaming for me to turn on the oven. So today I did a little experimenting and came up with these pumpkin muffins. They are a cross between pumpkin pie and muffins. So I guess I shall call them "Pumpkin Protein Puffins". Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup oat flour (you can put oats in a blender and make this flour if it's not available), 1/4 tsp salt, 2 scoops chocolate protein powder, and 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Mix wet ingredients together. 1/2 cup egg whites (or 4 egg whites), 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup pumpkin purée. If you are watching your sugar you can substitute the brown sugar for 1/2 cup of stevia, but I personally like the flavor of the brown sugar and it's not a whole lot of sugar added like traditional muffin recipes. Now mix wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and evenly distribute In a Pam sprayed muffin pan. Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment