Sunday, October 30, 2011

Finally Crossfit

I hear so much about Crossfit. I have many friends who swear by it and are avid Crossfitters. I've looked in the much loved phenomenon of Crossfit and overall it sounded like a good option for fitness. For whatever reason being (ie money, class time, whatever) I've never attended a class. This last week the option presented itself and everything fell in line, a babysitter, money, and location, so I jumped on it and went to my first Crossfit. It also just so happened to be the Barbells For Boobs event where you donate $30 to mammograms. The prescribed workout was 30 clean and jerks with 95lbs for time. Now, if youre not familiar with Olympic lifts one must understand form is EVERYTHING. I was a little nervous as I haven't performed a clean and jerk since high school. Yep, that's 8 years ago. I practiced a couple times on Thursday and Saturday morning but nothing would completely prepare in the short time before that Saturday morning WOD. I started my WOD with the prescribed weight and OMG, I could only do four. But in my defense, there was 7 girls total at the event and only one, who happen to also be the Crossfit instructor, could perform the WOD with the prescribed weight of 95lbs. I dropped to 75lbs and kept going finishing at 8 minutes 48 seconds. Not bad, but not to my personal liking. Reflecting on my experience with crossfit I've concluded this. I will start adding more Olympic power lifts to my personal weight training program. And I will try to get a babysitter for an occasional Crossfit session if the opportunity presents itsel. While I might not become the avid Crossfitters, I think it would be fun to throw in a WOD every once in awhile to shake things up and show me my weaknesses. As I always say to my clients, friends and family, "do what works for you".

No comments:

Post a Comment