Friday, December 30, 2011

Putting It Into Perspective

When I was growing up I was friends with a boy who had a mother battling cancer. I remember one day in particular. I was over at his house playing and we went into his mother's bedroom to ask if we could play in the pool. When we walked in I heard her vomiting before we even saw her. Then she appeared, her frail body and thin wisps of hair upset me. My mother had explained to me when she first started her treatments that these things would happen. But even after it still was confusing and horrible at my young elementary age. Over time her hair grew and she looked so much happier and healthier. My family moved a couple years later and I lost contact with my friend for awhile. Through Facebook I reconnected with him a couple years ago and we have been using the social networking site to occasionally catch up with each other. This past year I noticed a couple posts in regard to his mother battling cancer yet again. I stopped and said a prayer for her as well as all four of her children. And today I woke up to see my friend post her obituary. For me, this makes the importance of health so real. Now that I'm a mother I can't imagine leaving my family behind. I'm truly thankful for the health I have today because at any moment it could not be so. Everything is put into perspective, my simple annoyance are just that. What are they seriously in the grand picture? Not important...

No comments:

Post a Comment