Sunday, December 25, 2011

Exceptions.

Have you ever noticed there is always an exception to the rule? I before E except after C, Mouse is not mouses, it's mice, the law is riddled with them etc. Living this healthy and fit lifestyle is my job and I've met many others who take their fit lifestyles seriously as well. I've often read from different fitness magazines and fellow figure competitors that they never "cheat" or take a day off their diets. I can't imagine NEVER trying other foods, especially from other cultures and countries. I'm not talking about eating junk food. I'm talking about delicious fresh pasta from Italy, or wonderfully fragrant kebabs from Dubai, or an amazing breakfast pastry with coffee in Paris. These to me are exceptions to make in your clean eating lifestyle. This Christmas I made an exception. I spent the holiday with my wonderful Sicilian neighbors and had a traditional Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas lunch. I tried EVERYTHING on their menu and had no regrets. I must admit though, all the carbohydrates sent me into a carb coma. None the less, it was amazing and I'll never forget this Christmas. We began at 6pm Christmas Eve by playing games and preparing the food for dinner. We ate our dinner around 10pm, a traditional Sicilian scacciata (reminded me of stuffed focaccia with broccoli, potatoes and sausage). The scacciata was followed by oranges and traditional pandoro bread. At midnight we popped open champagne and everyone opened presents. We all played with our new gifts untill around 2am. At this time we were so tired that we headed home to catch some sleep before church the next morning. On Christmas day we went back to their home after church to start the all day feast. From 1pm untill 5pm course after course was served. Antipasto, lasagna, pasta, meat, potatoes, cassata, and then more champagne. After I couldn't move from all the food, they broke out the games. Bingo was a blast! Mike and I went back home at 6 and fell into a carb coma at 9pm after making all our Christmas calls to family back home. I'll never forget the warm hospitality of our Sicilian neighbors and their family. I can't wait to see how they bring in the new year next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment