Friday, January 13, 2012

Shoppin The Local Italian Farmers Market

Get the memo California! Italy has markets everywhere and their produce is cheaper than yours. Seriously, I jumped on that whole bandwagon back when I lived in San Diego. I wanted the fresh, seasonal and local produce. So many positives to shopping at the farmers market. I was just so disappointed when I saw how expensive these people were selling their produce for. I would walk in with $20 and feel like I came out with a bag of a couple apples, potatoes and 3 strawberries. I couldn't understand why they charged so much? I mean, aren't we getting rid of the dreaded "middle man"? Well in Italy there are markets everywhere and when you walk in with $20 Euro you come out with kilos and kilos and kilos of fresh, seasonal and local produce (conversion is 2.2 pounds equals 1 kilo). The absolute most delicious tomatoes you'll ever eat. Get these prices I saw today: 1 kilo of apples for 1 euro. 3 gigantic zucchini for 1 euro. A head of lettuce, 50 cents. Ridiculously large bag of potatoes for 2.50 Euro. Plus you walk out with the feeling you've helped the local farmers. Nummy nummy num. I was particularly excited about the zucchini because I had a recipe I've been dying to make from Gina Allioti. It was her Zucchini Breakfast Loaf. So I made that tonight. I also used the zucchini to make my own creation, Mini Meatloaf Surprise! Yes, the zucchini goes into the meatloaf, and boy does it make it flavorful AND super moist. Do you ever have that problem with dry meatloaf? Well, look no further for a solution! Zucchini does the trick. 1 lb extra lean ground beef (or turkey if you'd like). 1 cup shredded zucchini. 1 medium carrot shredded. 1/2 cup packed cooked quinoa (or 1/2 cup oats). 1 egg white. Tbs Basil. Salt to taste. Mix and put into a sprayed muffin pan. Cook 350F for 25-30 minutes. Baby Kellen gobbled them up too! Makes 10 muffins. Can be eatin with brown rice or on a salad. Each muffin is 87 calories, 3.3 fat, 3.4 carbs, and a whopping 10.3 protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment