Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Winning Combination

Today I felt like something a little different for lunch. My usual is chicken and gluten free bread (either Udo brand or Ezekiel) with tomatoes and spicy mustard. I opened the fridge to grab my usuals but noticed the hummus and almond cheddar calling my name, they sounded way better so I decided to eat them instead! I made a sandwich using two toasted slices of Ezekiel bread, 1 ounce sliced almond cheddar, and 2 tbs hummus. My mouth was watering thinking about the flavor! I thought something was missing though so i opened up the fridge and spotted the Jicama my mom brought when she came to visit. DON'T MIND IF I DO. This lunch knocked my socks off, plus chicken just really didn't sound appetizing at the moment.

If you're not familiar with almond cheese it's a non dairy alternative to cheddar. I found it at Whole Foods a month back for Kellen (who is currently on a dairy free diet) but I immediately was addicted. Hummus is also a delicious healthy spread/dip option that originates from the middle east. It's made from chick peas (garbanzo beans), garlic and olive oil but I've seen many different versions. And as for Jicama, it comes from Mexico, I used to eat it often when I lived in Tucson and San Diego. Yum yum yum.

not sure what's for dinner but I've been in moods lately where chicken sounds so boring. So maybe we have some chili adobo steak? Baked zucchini? And then some Coconut Crack for dessert?

1 comment: