Friday, May 25, 2012

Missing Sicily Already!

While I was down in Arizona I stopped at the Penzeys Spices store in Scottsdale. I absolutely LOVE Penzeys because the make truly the best spices I've ever used in my cooking. I'm on somewhat of a budget so I had to be selective of which spices I was going to purchase. As I was walking through the store I spotted the "Sicilian Salad Seasoning" and stopped for a whiff of the mixture. I was instantly in love, it smells like fresh Romano cheese! Of course I added it to my basket. After returning back to Utah I decided to try something yummy with the new found seasoning. This is what I came up with...
Sicilian Style Meatballs! They are clean eating of course. I ate the meatballs with a small side salad but the others in my family partaking in my new recipe are carb lovers and insisted they be served on top of pasta. But here is the recipe for the meatballs.
1 lb lean ground turkey. 1/2 cup brown rice bread crumbs. 5 tsp Sicilian Salad Seasoning. 2 egg whites. 1 tbs garlic seasoning. Mix all ingredients together and roll into meatballs. Pour approximately 2 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil into a pan and cook the meatballs on medium, tossing them every couple minutes to brown all sides of the meatballs.
My taste testers loved the meatballs over bowtie pasta (bowtie pasta cooked to al dente then tossed with 2 tbs butter and 3 more tsp of the Sicilian Salad Seasonings). I prefer a lighter carb dinner so I ate them with green veggies. Either way, delicious! Also, if you don't want to order the spices from Penzeys (which you are crazy if you don't at least try their stuff), you can try to put something together yourself. The Sicilian concoction consists of Romano cheese, salt, toasted onion, red bell pepper, tomato, white onion, paprika, Tellicherry black pepper, thyme, rosemary, cayenne and basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment