Monday, March 11, 2013

Audra's Hit Vegetarian Chili

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Tucson visiting my family. My nephew was turning one, so we drove down to spend the special day with him, my brother and his wife, and my sister who flew out from Maine. On Saturday night my sister Audra put together a fabulous dinner for all of us. It was a delicious vegetarian chili served over cornbread. Both Audra and her boyfriend are vegetarians and they love beans and sweet potatoes. Two things I love as well! This chili was a hit with everyone. We appeased the meat eaters in the group by adding cooked ground beef to their bowls. Here's her recipe.

1 can drained chickpeas
1 can drained black beans
1 can drained kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes with basil
1 can diced tomatoes with garlic
1 very large sweet potato chopped
1 large red pepper
1/2 sweet onion
2 tbs Arizona Dreaming Spices (Penzeys)
1 avocado

Place all in ingredients except the avocado in a crockpot and cook on low for 10 hours. Serve in bowl with avocado on top (this is how I ate it). You may add cheese and sour cream if you desire. If you don't have Penzeys Arizona Dreaming you can substitute with chili spice. Arizona Dreaming is my favorite spice though, so I suggest at least trying it. Go visit your local Penzeys spice store or order it online, it's the most amazing salt free spice you'll ever use! Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment