Friday, January 25, 2013

The Test

I went in yesterday morning for the pelvic ultrasound test. If you're unfamiliar with the test they require you to drink 48 ounces of water beginning 90 minutes before your appointment and hold your urine until after the test is finished. This is because they want your bladder full so they can correctly locate the organs. This was my third pelvic ultrasound (my first was when I was 19 in which they diagnosed me with PCOS, my second was with my pregnancy) so I was no newbie to the uncomfortable full bladder feeling. Of course, I'm standing throughout the waiting period because I don't dare sit down, it only makes the pain worse. As I'm standing there in the waiting room I spot a woman probably in her 50's with a folder marks "mastectomy". She is quiet and doesn't look around much. After 5 minutes she stands up and begins frantically searching. A woman in scrubs asks her, "is there something I can help you with?" The woman says, "bathroom please." The scrubbed woman points to a door and the woman bolts to the room while clasping her mouth with one hand trying to hold in her nausea to make it in time. My heart dropped. I can only imagine what this woman is going through, I'm guessing she's on chemotherapy and has breast cancer. I pause to look around and I see two men waiting patiently in hospital gowns, one man is attached with tubes to a machine with wheels.

My ultrasound tech asked me how I was today, I cleared my head and lied, "I'm good." Trying not to be bothered. But how could I not? Both my mother and father have had cancer. Seeing these others brings back sad memories. The ultrasound tech was fast and I was finished in less than 5 minutes, then excused to finally use the restroom.

I should be getting back my test results sometime mid next week. I'll keep you posted. Until then, remember to thank all the nurses. It takes a strong person to see pain and sickness on a regular basis and still be able to care for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment